Bairnwick Women’s Center
The Women’s Center is the home to a student-led movement actively promoting equality and social justice through education, support, and mentorship in Sewanee and beyond. We seek to celebrate and challenge gender and sexuality in our community.
The Bairnwick Women’s Center is a student-led movement that seeks to educate and to empower the Sewanee community by promoting social justice, equality, and voice. We seek to celebrate and challenge notions of traditional understandings of gender and sexuality in our community, and we are dedicated to inspiring open and honest dialogue. We serve the campus as an alternative to traditionally “male” models of leadership, thought, and participation. We work through an inclusive and dynamic feminist framework that celebrates diversity and respects difference. We refuse to accept sexist, homophobic, racist, classist, and other discriminatory behavior and practices on our campus.
We approach and execute our mission through the following facets:
- Fostering community. We work to further a sense of community through open events such as community potlucks, Tuesday Toasts, Sewanee “date nights,” creative writing workshops, Pinnacle Luncheons featuring a variety of speakers, and book clubs.
- Encouraging conversation. We incite meaningful and productive conversations through advocacy campaigns, social media presence, and day-to-day interactions. We strive to provoke, facilitate, and contribute to difficult discussions on campus to create a comfortable, mindful, and safe environment for the entire community.
- Providing a platform for student voices. Our programming focuses on giving all students an opportunity to make their voices heard. Students have a chance to share personal stories, experiences, and lessons in both public and anonymous forums. By providing a safe and open-minded environment, we strive to make each person feel empowered because “everyone deserves a parade.”
- Demanding change. No sexism. No racism. No homophobia. No classism. We believe in shared humanity and we demand mutual respect.
- Serving as a resource within and beyond our community. Within Sewanee,we offer peer support 24/7 and a safe space. We are not professionals, but we are passionate, well-informed students that are ready and willing to help in any capacity. Beyond Sewanee, we seek to partner with local nonprofit organizations that work directly with women to establish them as the vital resource they undoubtedly are.