New Student Requirements

All students at Sewanee are required to meet certain public health standards - for your protection, the protection of your classmates, and of the Sewanee campus community.  These requirements are due before your arrival on campus.  This page is designed to help you meet each of those health prerequisites in a timely manner and to answer some questions you might have.  Please be aware that this information is for incoming undergraduate students only.  If you are an incoming graduate student, please see our Graduate Student Information page for your requirements.


Why Does the Wellness Center Need this Information?

The Wellness Center's mission is to promote and enhance the health and well-being of Sewanee students, including providing medical and behavioral assistance as needed.  Your completion of the Health Form will allow us to provide that appropriate care.  The Health Form will also verify that you have received the necessary immunizations and that you have provided health information required by State and Federal law.  The Health Form is confidential and is only accessed by the Wellness Center (Counseling and Psychological Service; Student Accessibility Services; University Health Service) and the Atheltic Department, if you are playing a sport.


How Do I Submit My Health Form?

1. Log in to the Student Portal to access your online to do list.

2. Your portal will have a link to our required new student forms.  You may skip that step and download them directly from here: 2020 Incoming Student Form‌.

2. Contact your primary health care provider to schedule an appointment as soon as possible.

3. Take your printed forms with you to your appointment so that your provider can complete the physical and provide immunization information and required signatures.  (Please be aware that some appointments might not be available now due to COVID-19; your Incoming Student Form has instructions on how to proceed.)

4. Fax the signed and completed form by the deadline listed below.  Our fax number is 833-642-0898.

5. Check with your insurance provider and ask about their medical, prescription, and behavioral health coverage for Tennessee and the University Wellness Center.

6. Check your updated status on the Portal.  Please allow 10 business days before checking, as the Portal is not updated until a staff member is able to review the forms.  If you are missing any components, we will contact you via your portal or email.  Please be sure to check your account for these notices.


What are the Important Deadlines?

First-year undergraduate and first-year School of Theology students entering in Advent (fall) semester July 15, 2020 
Students entering in the Easter (spring) semester December 1, 2020
Students with late acceptances Within 4 weeks of acceptance


What if I Don't Submit by the Deadline?

If you have not submitted all of the required information by the stated deadlines, your ability to receive your dorm key and move into your dorm will be significantly delayed.


Can I Get My Immunizations at the Wellness Center?

Students who are unable to receive the necessary immunizations in their home country or state are eligible to receive them here at the Wellness Center.  If doing so, you must obtain these vaccinations during Freshman check-in on Saturday, August 24th.


Is There Anywhere Else Where I Can Get Immunizations?

Yes, the Franklin County Health Department in Winchester, TN can provide many of these vaccinations.  Please see the TN Local Health Departments website for contact information.  You can also check with the local Health Departments in your state or county.


What if I Have Questions About Insurance Coverage?

Kim Bradford, our Office and Student Insurance Coordinator, will be happy to help you.  Please call 931-598-1270 and choose menu option 3.


What Kind of Insurance Does the Wellness Center at Sewanee Take?

University Health Service contracts with the following insurance companies:

    • Aetna
    • Blue Cross Blue Shield (except Plans A, E and S)
    • Beechstreet
    • Bluegrass
    • Center Care
    • Cigna
    • Coventry
    • GEHA
    • Pomco
    • Signature Health
    • Tricare South
    • United Healthcare

Please note that there are various plans under each of these companies and that not all plans are equal.  It is strongly recommended that you check with your insurance carrier to see if our student health service in Tennessee is considered "in network" before you arrive on campus.  It is your responsibility to understand your coverage before arriving on campus.


What if I Have Additional Questions About the Athletic Form?

Please contact Ray Knight, Head Athletic Trainer, at 931-598-1293.


What if I Have Additional Questions About Accommodations?

New students requesting accommodations should visit our page for accommodations and accessibility, which can be found here.


What if I Have Additional Questions About the Medical Form?

You can reach the Wellness Center by calling: 931-598-1270 and choosing menu option 1.
Fax: 931-598-1746