An internship is an arrangement to gain experience in a particular field or job function under the guidance of a supervisor or sponsor. The learning that occurs and the experience that is gained usually benefits the student participating in the internship more than it benefits the sponsor. Sewanee considers internships to be a valuable and integral part of a field of study.
Currently enrolled, degree-seeking Sewanee students are very fortunate to be able to apply via TigerNet for internships and to apply for a portion of the over $460,000 available in funding for unpaid internships. Around 170 students received funding from Sewanee for the summer of 2017 to do internships and research assistantships in the United States and abroad.
*ACE internships are any internships that are for Sewanee students only; they can be paid or unpaid
Here is a list of the steps to finding an internship this summer, along with a suggested timeline:
1. Get your resume in great shape. (Nov. 1-Jan.30)
2. Choose what occupation you want to “test drive” this summer. (Dec. 15-Jan. 30)
3. Research and find internship opportunities. (Dec. 15-Jan. 30)
4. Write your cover letters. (Nov. 15-Feb. 15)
5. Create your list of references. (Nov. 15-Feb. 15)
6. Apply for around 6-12 internships (both ACE and external ones)...and have a good backup plan. (Feb. 1-Mar. 1; ACE deadline is Feb. 15)
7. Prepare for your interviews. (Feb. 1)
8. Get an internship offer. (Feb.-Mar.)
9. If your internship is unpaid, apply for internship funding ($375/week for up to 8 weeks) from Sewanee (Mar. 1 for research assistantships with Sewanee faculty; Apr. 1 for all others)
10. Complete the internship, then reflect on how it informs the next steps in your career/life path.
Need help? We are ready to offer our assistance to you every step of the way! Many opportunities are available to get the help you need. Make an appointment with a Career & Leadership Development advisor by calling Career & Leadership Development at x 1121 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here to help!
To post an internship for a Sewanee student, please complete this form.