European Studies is celebrating over 30 years of inspiring students to expand their worldview and pursue their academic passions through hands-on experience.
Founded in 1988, European Studies is the first collaborative study abroad program jointly owned by Rhodes College and the University of the South (Sewanee). The semester-long program provides students with an opportunity to combine study at prestigious Lincoln College, Oxford University, with extensive travel across Continental Europe.
Students are immersed in the study of a specific historical period within one of three options:
- Ancient Greece and Rome
- Medieval and Renaissance Europe
- Contemporary Europe
Each option provides students an unrivalled opportunity to visit many of Europe′s greatest monuments, cities, landscapes and works of art. In 2020, the program will offer the following two options; Medieval and Renaissance Europe and Contemporary Europe.
Rhodes and Sewanee students pay home school tuition. Other students will be charged the Rhodes rate for tuition, room and board. On application to the program, the student pays a non-refundable $300 deposit. Rhodes and Sewanee students pay their tuition and fees directly to their home institution, receiving any merit-and/or need-based financial aid for which they qualify.
- Cost includes: All tuition; complete room and board while at Rhodes or Sewanee, Lincoln College, Oxford, on the Continent, and in London; all program excursions and any day expeditions; all transportation in Great Britain and on the Continent; admissions to museums visited for group study; an International Student Identity Card; and program health insurance.
- Cost does NOT include: Trans-Atlantic airfare from the United States to Great Britain; textbooks; and incidental, personal expenses.
- Dean of European Studies: Sally Dormer, B.A., University of Durham; M.A., Ph.D., University of London, Courtauld Institute of Art.
- Associate Dean of European Studies: Stevens Anderson, B.A., the University of the South; M.A., University of Virginia.