University Health Services (UHS) is here to keep you healthy while you focus on your studies at the University of the South. The UHS clinic provides primary medical care tailored to the unique needs of college students. Our healthcare providers are licensed certified Nurse Practitioners. The Nurse Practitioner is an independent practitioner who is responsible for managing health problems, writing prescriptions, and coordinating health care for their patients. You can expect the same types of services here that you get from your family healthcare provider.
Services provided at UHS include, but are not limited to:
- Evaluation and treatment of illness and injuries
- Health education and information
- Physical exams
- Sexual health services
- Emergency contraception
- Limited prescription medication dispensary
- Diagnostic laboratory testing
- Referral to specialty providers
Lab work and imaging studies not available at the health service can be performed at Southern Tennessee Regional Health - Sewanee, which is located on campus beside UHS. We are not able to provide allergy shots at the Wellness Center, but can supply referral information upon request.
Appointments are required for University Health Service; to learn more about how to schedule an appointment with us, please see our How do I schedule an appointment? page. You are also able to call our main line at (931) 598-1270 to schedule an appointment or request information.
Please be aware that UHS charges a $25 fee for late cancellations or no shows to appointments. This fee will be charged to your student account. To avoid being charged, please contact the office 2 hours before your appointment time to cancel or reschedule your appointment.
To see the practice policies and limitations, please download our University Health Service Scope of Practice.
Special Statements on Immunizations, the Men B Vaccination, Zika Virus, and other Important Topics
- If you have any questions about your immunity, check with UHS. We require 2 doses of MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) for all incoming students born after 1956.
- We also provide a downloadable handout regarding our Immunization Requirements for Graduate Students. If you are enrolled in a Graduate program, please use this form to determine your compliance with University policy.
- Our statement on the Meningitis B Vaccine Information (pdf) from our previous Medical Director, Dr. Jay McDonald.
- You can find electronic copies of some of our handouts regarding common campus ailments and travel concerns on our forms page. Electronic copies of our required paperwork can also be found in this section.
- Did you know? The Sewanee Police Department has a drop box where you can get rid of old, expired, or unwanted prescriptions. Please see their page for more information on this service.