THE UNIVESITY OF THE SOUTH
PHYSICAL PLANT SERVICES
DELEGATION OF APPROVAL AUTHORITY
Revised July 2007
PURPOSE: To establish procedures for the delegation of approval for purchases within Physical Plant Services. This document provides additional guidance to PPS employees and is intended to supplement University Purchasing Policies and Procedures, July, 2006.
The University of the South Purchasing Policies and Procedures, July, 2006, delegates Purchasing Authority to PPS. “All Physical Plant Services purchases including repair parts, maintenance and construction materials, and various non-capital items.” Note: Capital items are not delegated purchases and must follow normal purchasing procedures. As a guideline, a Contract should be used rather than a Purchase Order for contracted services over $5,000.
The following procedures are established to provide purchasing guidance to PPS employees.
- Stock Items: Inventory management personnel are authorized to purchase and sign Purchase Orders and Invoices for all consumables, inventory, and fuel.
- Supervisors: First level supervisors are authorized to purchase and sign Purchase Orders and Invoices for maintenance and construction materials, and various non-capital items up to $2,500 per item.
- Assistant Director of Physical Plant Services: The Assistant Director is authorized to purchase and sign Operations and Maintenance Purchase Orders and Invoices for all non-capital items up to $5,000 per item. All Operations and Maintenance purchases over $5,000 per item will be approved by the Director of Physical Plant Services.
- Director of Physical Plant Services: The Director is authorized to purchase and sign Purchase Orders and Invoices for all non-capital items over the approval level of subordinate employees.
- Emergencies: In an emergency, employees are authorized to purchase items required to deal with the immediate problem. After dealing with the immediate emergency the employee will brief his/her supervisor and obtain the appropriate purchasing approval after the fact.
For non-operations account purchases the account manager will be in compliance with the rules governing that particular account. (For example, the 919011 account requires advanced approval from the Provost and coordination by the Assistant Director and Director of PPS, and the Treasurer and Chief Finance Officer.)