Faculty Travel Policy

The travel expense reimbursement policy is designed to simplify and expedite the process of getting reimbursed for your approved travel expenses. Meals and Incidental Expenses (M&IE) are reimbursed on a per diem basis (see below for details). Other approved expenses (e.g. lodging and transportation) are reimbursed contingent on the submission of itemized receipts.

Please keep in mind that the Dean of the College will normally not reimburse travel expenses that exceed amounts established by budgets or by stated policy for the year or individual trips.

Faculty Travel and Business Expense Form

Once you return from your trip, you should complete ‌‌. The completed form along with required receipts (see below) should be submitted via email as a single pdf to Alex Bruce (ambruce@sewanee.edu) with the Office of the Dean within five days of completing travel. The first page of the pdf file should be the FT&BE form, and the name of the pdf file should include your last name.  Forms will be reviewed by the Office of the Dean and processed or returned if corrections are necessary.  

M&IE items are reimbursed on a per diem basis, and receipts for M&IE items are not required. The maximum actual rate will depend on the travel destination. Please refer to http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/104877 for information about maximum per diem rates by city. The IRS allows a 75% per diem for the first and last day of travel. If you spend less than the maximum per diem on a particular day, you should report the actual amount spent on that day. If you spend more than the maximum per diem on a particular day, you should report the maximum per diem, but you may roll over any amounts above the maximum per diem to days where you spent less than the maximum per diem.

If your hotel or your conference provides a meal, you should deduct that meal allowance from your per diem. If you have room service or restaurant charges on your hotel bill, you should deduct those charges from the bill’s total as meals are already included in the M&IE per diem. The incidentals portion of the per diem includes hotel tips, bellhop tips, etc.

Non-M&IE items (e.g. lodging and transportation) should be listed on the FT&BE form, and itemized receipts for these items must be included with the FT&BE form. These receipts should clearly identify what was purchased. Remember to keep copies of your FT&BE forms for your own records. 

Certain expenses are reimbursable for the entertainment of special guests of the University as long as the business purpose of the event and the attendees are documented. The Dean of the College will determine what expenses are reimbursable.

Incomplete FT&BE forms will not be processed. The IRS requires that you provide information on the amount, time, place, attendees, and business purpose of requests for reimbursement for travel or entertainment. The IRS also requires itemized receipts with documentation regarding purpose and attendees. Without proper documentation, the IRS can deem the reimbursements to be taxable income to the faculty member. Keep in mind that receipts are not required for per diems.

Faculty Travel Advance Procedures

When traveling on University business, you may request a travel advance for your estimated expenses. Requests should be submitted on a Request for Payment Form (Form 19). This request requires the signatures of the faculty member and the Dean of the College. All travel advance requests should be submitted to the Office of the Dean. The Business Office will contact you when the advance is ready for pick up.

A travel advance needs to be cleared within five business days of your return. To clear the travel advance, you must complete the  found on the Treasurer’s website following the instructions described above and submit the  to the Office of the Dean.