The lakes and ponds of Sewanee add to the diversity of the Domain by providing a habitat for water-loving plants. All are man-made, starting in 1953 with the Farm Pond which was built when the Soil Conservation Service demonstrated the feasibility of impoundment by earthen dams on the plateau. Under the leadership of Vice-Chancellor Edward McCrady and University Forester and En gineer Charles Cheston, lakes continued
to be added until 1968 for various uses, including wildlife habitat and firefighting. Currently there are 12 lakes scattered throughout the Domain, not including Lakes O'Donnell, Jackson, and Dimmick (formerly Day Lake), which are managed for water supply.