APPENDIX B: Employee Information and Training
- Information and training concerning the hazards of chemicals in
laboratories must be
provided for all laboratory employees and students.
- Such information and training will be provided when an employee is initially assigned to a laboratory where hazardous chemicals are present and also prior to assignments involving new hazardous chemicals and/or new laboratory work procedures.
- Employee Information: Employees shall be informed of:
- The content and requirements of the Laboratory Standard.
- The content, location and availability of the Chemical Hygiene Plan.
- The PEL's, Action Levels, and other recommended exposure limits for hazardous chemicals used in [this Institution's] laboratories.
- Signs and symptoms associated with exposures to the hazardous chemicals used in the laboratory.
- The location and availability of MSDS's and other reference materials.
- Employee training shall include:
- The methods and observations that may be used to detect the presence or release of a hazardous chemical.
- The hazards associated with the chemicals used in [this Institution's] laboratories.
- The measures employees can use to protect themselves from these hazards, including specific procedures such as appropriate work practices, personal protective equipment to be used and emergency procedures.
- The University of the South Chemical Hygiene Plan.