Rocks from every continent on Earth can be found in Sewanee’s Vertrees Young Mineral Collection at Snowden Hall. Drawer after drawer of crystals and rock samples have been organized into one of the best hands-on teaching collections for Geology in the United States. It all began when renowned mineral collector Vertrees Young donated a portion of his collection to the University including Gold from Dahlonega Georgia, Diamonds from Russia’s Mir Kimberlite Pipe and Tourmalines from the San Diego Pala Pegmatite - and that’s just the beginning. From desert to ocean floor, Snowden Hall carries a representative fragment from almost every kind of place on Earth.
- Samples from every continent and the ocean floor
- 2000+ specimens
- Excellent crystals for hands-on study
- One of the best collections for geology student use anywhere in the U.S.
- Much of it a gift from world-renowned mineral collector Vertrees Young
- Gold from Georgia’s Dahlonega mines
- Diamonds from Russia’s Mir Kimberlite Pipe
- Tourmalines from San Diego’s Pala Pegmatite
- And much more !
View Mineral Collection Samples